Latvijas Pastsexpands stamp series Coats of Arms of Latvian Cities and Municipalities
Three new stamps have been issued as part of the series Coats of Arms of Latvian Cities and Municipalities - Iecava, Līgatne and Viesīte. The first day event of the new stamps will be held on Saturday, January 16, in Iecava post office from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM, at the Līgatne post office from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM, and at the Viesīte post office from 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM.
The new stamps display the coats of arms of Iecava, Līgatne and Viesīte. The creator of the design is artist Ģirts Grīva.
The print run of the Iecava stamp consists of 300,000 stamps with a face value of LVL 0.55; the Līgatne stamp has a print run of 300,000 and a face value of LVL 0.45; the stamp of Viesīte has a print run of 1,000,000 stamps and a face value of LVL 0.35.
A first day envelope and three different special cancellations are being issued together with the new stamps. The envelope depicts the map of Latvia, as well as the coats of arms of Iecava, Līgatne and Viesīte. The special cancellations display the contour of Latvia and the locations of Iecava, Līgatne and Viesīte on the map.
The name of Iecava first appears in print in 1492. From the middle of the 16th century to the end of the 18th century, Iecava was part of the Duchy of Courland. Iecava became an urban-type settlement on February 1, 1963, and obtained the rights of a parish in 1990. On January 1, 2004, the parish of Iecava became Iecava municipality. Iecava lies in the central part of Latvia, at the meeting place of the Zemgale plain, the sandy lowland of Riga and the Middle Latvia slope.
The name of Līgatne first appears in print in the period from 1681 to 1710. A populated area began forming in the territory of Līgatne in the beginning of the 19th century, after the establishment of a paper mill. Līgatne was founded in 1888, when the owner of the Ķempju estate partitioned 22 areas for development. In 1949, Līgatne obtained the status of an urban-type settlement, and received town rights in 1993. Līgatne is a town in Vidzeme, on the left bank of River Gauja; it is the center of Līgatne municipality.
Until 1828, Viestīte was called Āžu miests ("Buck village"), later - Ēķengrāvis. Around 1890, a densely populated area formed around Āžu Tavern - the municipality's center for craftsmen and small merchants. Viesīte obtained town rights in 1928. The town is situated in Jēkabpils District and lies in the Selonia highland.
New stamps have been regularly added to the series Coats of Arms of Latvian Cities and Municipalities since 1994.
About VAS Latvijas Pasts
Latvijas Pastsensures the widest availability of postal services throughout Latvia by maintaining more than 600 post offices. The primary function of the company is provision of the universal postal service; Latvijas Pasts also provides philately, transport and express mail, financial intermediation, payment, press subscription and retail services. Latvijas Pasts is a fully state-owned company with approximately 5000 employees.
VAS Latvijas Pasts
Public relations specialist
Phone: +371 67608504